I <3 hearty soups. This is definitely the most satisfying soup I’ve ever made, and it is so simple to make! Bonus points for the fact that it’s super healthy (but doesn’t taste like it) and extra bonus points for Rod having two helpings!!
I would recommend serving this hearty soup topped with grated cheese (we used a pre-shredded swiss/gruyere blend, but parmesan or asiago would be good too) and/or with crusty bread!
Kale, Sausage, and Cannellini Soup
4 chicken apple sausages, cut into 1/2 inch slices on the diagonal
1 onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 thick carrots, peeled and diced (I like to cut into rounds, then quarter them)
1 can of cannellini beans (or any white bean), including liquid
1 small to medium sized bunch of kale, washed, stem and any tough-looking center parts removed, remaining leafy parts cut up into 1 inch strips
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon celery seed
Optional: 4- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock.
1. Heat large pot on medium-high heat, and add oil.
2. Once oil is hot (about 1 minute), add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Remove garlic quickly, set aside, and turn up the heat to high.
3. In the same oil, saute the sausage over high heat, until nicely browned on both sides (about 5 minutes, stirring frequently)
4. Add onion and saute with sausage for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add carrots and kale and saute another 4-5 minutes, or until kale turns a brighter green.
6. Add cannellini beans including liquid in the can, celery seed, and also add hot water to desired soup consistency (I added 4-6 cups of water—sorry I didnt measure—just kinda eyeballed it). You can add chicken stock or vegetable stock instead of water if you have it on hand. I found that it was not necessary.
7. Stir a little to blend everything and cover and bring to a boil, then let simmer on low heat for 15-45 minutes (I think the flavors blend together better and the kale is more wilted after 45 minutes, but it is perfectly edible earlier!)